Friday, March 30, 2018

THE IMPORTANCE OF DOCUMENTING YOUR LIFE II

Whatever happened to spontaneity? To calling a friend and saying "let's meet for coffee in the afternoon"? Why does everyone need a two-week advance notice to sit for a chat and a drink? I have friends who need to make an appointment, send email, back and forth about dates and times, until it really doesn't matter anymore whether I see them or not. If it is that big a problem that requires major negotiations, I must not be that important. I have friends who are always busy. Busy with what? Not even an hour to renew our friendship? Really?

I remember when I'd ring a doorbell and my friend would come out and I'd ask "do you want to play?" Or I'd yell from the street her name and she'd come to the window to see what was going on. And we'd walk over to the park or go for a stroll.

Is everything now preplanned? preprogrammed? Must everything be? If I wake up one morning and want to see someone, I should be able to call them and they should be able to say yes or no but not send emails and offer possible dates and on and on...geez...I must be getting old.

Nostalgia for the old days overcomes me sometimes. I miss my friends who are no longer alive but were always ready for a cup of coffee and conversation. I miss my friends who were always available, ready and willing.

I find myself spending a large chunk of time alone: eating, walking, writing, watching movies when I'd rather do those things with a friend, or two. Do I need new friends? I like the ones I have. I just wish they had a little time for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment