Monday, August 19, 2013

A WEEKEND IN BRIDGMAN, MICHIGAN

A field of zinnias - dark red, yellow, orange, lavender, purple - surprised us among the raspberries, watermelons, tomatoes, green beans, gourds, peaches that greeted us Saturday evening when  David and I went for a ride around Southwestern Michigan near Bridgman.  

Such a joy to rest our eyes on the colorful flowers!

Our friend's house, where we stayed, faced Lake Michigan.  I walked down the dune and dipped my toes in the cold water.  Then I sat on the sand and read and read listening to the lake lapping on the stones, small waves greeting me.

I've missed going to Michigan in the summers.  Over the years, David and I have stayed in Lakeside, Harbert, Union Pier, Sawyer, Bridgman, South Haven, and even way north in the Leelanau peninsula.  In early Spring of 1995 we addressed and mailed our wedding invitations from Lakeside, Michigan.  Later, we spent our honeymoon in Harbert Woods at a friend's house.  
That year we met Ibrahim - owner of Cafe Gulistan - in Harbert and have enjoyed visiting him every time we go to Michigan.  In the early years we'd take mom and dad to meet him and speak Turkish with him.  Ibrahim still remembers mom and dad and asks about them.

In 2000 we rented a cottage in Union Pier for a month where I wrote my series of poems "Union Pier."  I set myself the task of writing a poem every day and the result is a collection of 11 poems. A few have been published but they are still looking for a home as a group.

In 2008 and 2009 we rented houses to spend a week in the summer with Oliver - our first grandchild.  Those were some fun days!

This weekend we dined in Tabor Hill winery, lunched at the Swedish bakery, and visited our friend George Badonsky - former owner of famed Chicago restaurants (Tango, The Brewery, Maxim's, George's, and others).  This stay has reignited my desire to spend more time in SW Michigan, perhaps to rent a cottage for a few weeks and write and read and meditate.  Perhaps this autumn...perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment