Sunday, February 2, 2014

FIRST DAY

The first day of February started around 4 a.m. for me.  That's the time I got up to take the taxi to go to the airport to get on a flight that was supposed to leave at 6:30 a.m.  Fat chance!  We didn't leave until 9:30 and therefore didn't get to Dallas until past 11 a.m.  Our connecting flight was long gone.  The next flight was at 7:30 pm.  David and I spent about 8 hours at DFW - got to know it really well.  Felt like that guy who lived in the Paris airport for I-don't-know-how-long.  After a very long day we arrived to San Miguel de Allende (SMA) around 1 in the morning of the next day.  

The second day of February woke up sunny and warm however.  I familiarized myself with the house while David went shopping for groceries.  When he returned we sat in the roof top deck and had breakfast, looking out over the expanse of land near the Botanic Gardens, the town farther down the hill.  The house is located at the Southern edge of SMA, in a neighborhood called El Paraiso.  Which makes for gorgeous views but long uphill treks to the shops, buses, and the center of town.  

While having breakfast our downstairs neighbors came to introduce themselves and offer any help we might need.  The couple from Boston brought us a newspaper and were relieved to see that we were not some noisy young pair given our late arrival.  After all that, we walked up the hill (me out of breath) and took the bus to the center.  El Jardin was buzzing with people, children holding balloons in the shape of rockets, young women wearing flower crowns around their heads, music.  I managed to find a table at a restaurant well-positioned to people-watch and later we walked to our old favorite cafe on Nemesio Diez - Cafe Rama.  We played a game of Qwirkle and had an early supper before returning home to watch the Super Bowl.

It's going to take me a few days to accustom my mind and soul to being here, in this house, in this town, in this country.  It always takes me a few days to feel comfortable.  I miss my house and my things.  But - then - life takes over, things start rolling along and I'm a "relatively" happy camper. Let's hope nothing goes wrong.  Anxiety has diminished considerably but there is a small piece still floating around my brain.  It's almost 10 pm and I'm starting my work.  I'm writing.  And I will continue to write.  Every day.  As planned.

1 comment:

  1. Flight delays are awful...especially if you miss the connecting flight. Happy to hear you settled in ok and I envy the sun and walking and people watching. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete