Wednesday, March 5, 2014

BACK IN CHICAGO

I guess most of you are not interested in writing tips, given the small amount of views of my last entry.  I thought you would find it useful, at least, those of you who are writers out there.

It's been a week since I returned from San Miguel de Allende (actually it will be a week tonight). Needless to say, I haven't gone out much, only what was absolutely necessary, such as, a doctor's visit, a manicure, the OLLI Study Group, and the Symphony on Friday.  I am waiting for the day when I can go out and saunter down Bissell Street, Armitage Avenue; the day I can stroll for an hour or so and exercise my legs and my lungs.  Sitting indoors for days on end saps my energy. Not to mention, my creativity.  

Case in point: what can I write about in this blog of what I've done, what I've seen, heard, tasted, smelled?  In San Miguel there were always new vistas, experiences, colors and sounds.  In Chicago I am reduced to snow outside my windows, frigid air on my face if I venture out, and the same old thing, except for the Symphony and the Study Group.

On Friday we heard Ravel and Stravinsky with two very young conductors and a singer.  They performed rarely played pieces with explanations from Pierre Boulez on video because he was not able to fly to Chicago.  He selected the program.  It was dynamic, entertaining, and sometimes exhilarating.  Every couple of weeks or so I need my dose of classical music.  The CSO is the perfect provider.  Close to home, easy to get to, and fantastic.  

The Study Group discussion focused on Ann Patchett's book State of Wonder.  I had read it a couple of years ago and didn't like it then.  Still don't.  The conversation on the novel centered on who did what, why, when, and so forth.  After a while I expressed my opinion that the premise made no sense; the book was long and boring, and my disappointment since I really enjoyed her previous novel Bel Canto.  I seem to be the voice of disagreement in that group.  But, once I offer my views and opinions, many of the participants agree with me.  I wonder if they are afraid to dislike a book.  Next week it's Howard's End.  Not liking it much either so far.  Will let you know when I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment