Monday, June 2, 2014

ANOTHER INSTALLMENT ON SOME FAMOUS JOURNAL KEEPERS

Franz Kafka
“One advantage in keeping a diary is that you become aware with reassuring clarity of the changes which you constantly suffer and which in a general way are naturally believed, surmised, and admitted by you, but which you’ll unconsciously deny when it comes to the point of gaining hope or peace from such an admission. In the diary you find proof that in situations which today would seem unbearable, you lived, looked around and wrote down observations, that this right hand moved then as it does today, when we may be wiser because we are able to look back upon our former condition, and for that very reason have got to admit the courage of our earlier striving in which we persisted even in sheer ignorance.”

Kafka used his journal to see the changes he suffered.  You can see the progress you've made from adolescence to adulthood or from last year to this year.  When I read my journal from years past I am often surprised by my own life.  Did I really think that? I say to myself.  How I've changed.  And sometimes, I realize I am still the same.  
In our journals we find proof that - what seemed unbearable yesterday - may be overcome.  We write our present.  We learn from our past.
COMING UP SOON: 
THE INNER JOURNEY: JOURNALING IN THE MODERN AGE
SATURDAY JUNE 14 - 1 TO 5 PM
THE NEWBERRY LIBRARY, 60 WEST WALTON, CHICAGO
To register online go to:
HTTP://WWW.NEWBERRY.ORG



No comments:

Post a Comment