Saturday, March 31, 2018

THE IMPORTANCE OF.... III

"Lorca Forever" or "Lorca Alma Presente" is the name of the program we experienced last night at The Poetry Foundation. Four different Latino theatre companies read excerpts of his works accompanied with piano music and percussion. There was also some singing. I love Lorca's work. I read him when I was an adolescent and my first poems were imitations of his rhythmic poetry, rich with repetitions and musicality. The program focused on his plays however; only one poem was read :"Ode to Walt Whitman."

I'm not convinced reading the play excerpts was successful; although, it proved powerful at times, moving, yet a tiny bit difficult to get a feel for his plays. The voices were magnificent. The music majestic and the last song moved me. I am glad to have attended. For the beauty of the words and for the opportunity to see some friends and network a bit with the Poetry Foundation people.

I'm hoping to read there sometime (soon) although I think it won't be before next year. In any case, it was good to get out and do something. And to find my first poetry collection in the immense library tucked among all the other books. What a confirmation! I am a poet. Here is my book. In the Poetry Foundation. I was (and am) thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment