Monday, April 2, 2018

NaPoWriMo Day 2


The runaway

i wanna go home
i’m scared
can you help me?
i’ve been sleeping
in the streets
since last week

I listen
Careful not to interrupt
“Aha” ing and “I see”ing
every now and then lest
the young girl think I’m
not listening, her voice thin
and hesitant, yet determined.

i need
help
please
i left my house
and walked
for a long time
then i hitchhiked
a trucker picked
me up and
brought me to florida

She needs empathy and
support more than anything
else right now. She needs
a safe place to sleep and
a warm meal, some options
on what to do - too old before her time.

i know nobody here
i have no money
my father was violent
my mom on drugs
i had to leave
please
what can you do for me?

She’s seen too much, she’s hurt
more than anyone should’ve at 15.



No comments:

Post a Comment