Friday, June 8, 2012

HOME SWEET HOME: Chicago

Jet-lag is a bitch!  I am so out of it when I get home on Thursday, I can't even eat anything even though I'm very hungry.  It's been a long return trip.  I go to sleep around 4 in the afternoon and wake up the next day.  To make matters more disconcerting, my house has changed.  Floors have been sanded, televisions have been replaced, furniture is out of place, I can't find anything.

Where is the sugar bowl? I ask Friday morning at 5 a.m.  I've missed David's coffee. And The New York Times.  David tries to teach me how to use the new remote control.  My brain is not on yet.  But slowly I regain my composure and get things done.  Find things.  Now I need another nap.

When I close my eyes I hear Greek: my mother's voice calling my name, my cousin's comments about America,  my friends', the neighbors.  My head swims in the past three weeks but finally I manage to fall asleep.  Jet-lag is a bitch indeed!

It's 3 pm on Friday.  I have to take a nap.  More later...

2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed reading the blogs of your trip Beatriz - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Todd. It's nice to know someone is reading.

    ReplyDelete