Saturday, February 8, 2014

FLYCATCHERS, SATIE, AND OTHER PLEASURES

The classical guitar concert last night offered me the possibility of thinking about life and work. The young man played Bach, Piazzolla, Villalobos, and others. Very pleasant and we had nice seats.  It was what my soul needed.  After the concert we walked a bit and went to San Agustin Cafe, across from the church.  No Americans in the cafe.  It was a welcome sight and sound. I wonder why it was all Mexicans and us. We had a delicious tortilla espanola and jamon serrano con melon. I enjoyed a martini kiwi. 

Before the concert I attended the second part of the lecture on the history of the dining table with Eva Eliscu - a woman originally from Stockholm who lives in Chicago and here and there too.  She talked about the dining table from Napoleon's time to the present.  The first installment covered the period from Ancient Greece to the French Revolution. I founded all fascinating.  It reignited my interest in researching food anthropology, the history of foods, what people ate, what are dishes we all have in common, and many other topics. I think I'll do that when I go back to Chicago.

During the day I watched the vermilion flycatcher flutter around on the shrubs, bright red breast, black head, could not be more beautiful.  Jumping from branch to branch, hiding in the tall trees in the distance, coming closer to my window.  A red slash against the blue sky, impossible not to admire.  Two grackles walked back and forth across the street, their long black tails sweeping the cobblestones, determined and purposeful.  Sometimes one of them perches himself on the dome above the house and calls out to who knows who - a mate? a friend? us? 

This morning, as I sip my coffee and write, I listen to the radio from the Universidad de Guanajuato.  There is a program for children teaching them about classical music. Eric Satie talks about his compositions and they play his music while children ask questions.  Before there was a recitation of Homer's Odyssey in Spanish with Greek music in the background.  What a pleasure! 
Gardenias yellow on my desk yet they still offer me their aroma.

Later today Irma will arrive from Mexico City.

No comments:

Post a Comment