Monday, February 10, 2014

WHAT I DID THIS WEEKEND

Good morning! I am back. I've decided to take the weekends off from writing. 

Saturday afternoon Irma arrived; we sat on the rooftop deck sipping wine and catching up. The sun was warm.  In the evening we went to dinner to Berlin, a sort-of German restaurant downtown. The food was good, the wine too, but one other customer annoyed us to no end.  An older woman who spoke loudly and seemed drunk.  Eventually David became angry and yelled at her, I said some things, her companions got involved, and then they all left. We had crepes for dessert and left too. This is the second time we are confronted with loud speaking "gringos" who make our dinners unpleasant. What is it with these people?  And if you tell them - like we do - they say things like "this is Mexico," "relax," "don't be so uptight," etc. etc.  I wonder how the locals put up with them. Irma suggested we don't go to the restaurants they frequent. I suppose that's a possibility.

Sunday we strolled in the Botanic Gardens and did some bird watching.  We saw an avocet, a whole bunch of Mexican mallards, vermilion flycatchers, and apparently a coot (although I couldn't find it).  The cacti are not in bloom yet. Lunch was at the garden cafe before returning home to read, nap, rest. In the evening our downstairs neighbors invited us for cocktails and off we went. Irma gave them tips on what to see in Mexico City where they're going next week.  Later I made supper at home and we watched the Olympics for a while before going to bed.

This morning Irma left and I am back at my computer, writing, composing, feeling productive. I miss it if I don't do it for a few days, now that I've gotten in the rhythm of things.  That's why routines are useful.  Decide when and for how long you'll write and sit down and do it, or stare at the screen for however long you decided.  Eventually something will happen. And if nothing comes out, just free write nonsense. Something is bound to be good and usable.  I promise you.

2 comments:

  1. It all sounds wonderful! Maybe not the loud diners, although, as someone who has a hearing loss, I often wonder whether an older person speaking loudly is hard of hearing...then I remember the many conversations at home, where everyone was loud and Owen initially thought that we were arguing. We had to tell him that that is just how we talk. Glad to see you are writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought about that but it's mostly that they are drunk or very tipsy. We can tell that. I know I'm loud sometimes but I try not to be when I'm in a small, closed in space like a restaurant.

      Delete