Tuesday, February 11, 2014

MOVIES ANYONE?

This Tuesday morning the sun shines as always.  Every day is sunny, not necessarily very warm, but sunny. Right now - at 9 a.m. - the temp is 48 degrees F.  I wear all my clothes like the Marx Brothers. Later it goes up to the 80s.  And I shed them.  

One of the other things I like to do when I travel (besides go to supermarkets) is to go to the movies in other towns, other countries.  The Cinemex is in La Luciernaga mall, near the house. 

We saw The Wolf of Wall Street yesterday.  By mistake.  We thought we were going to see The Book Thief but the usher sent us to the wrong cinema. We stayed.  The world depicted in The Wolf is filled with drugs, debauchery, greed, excess, lies, not to mention fraud.  At first - when I realized it was the wrong movie - I wanted to leave and find the right one, but I stayed because David wanted to stay. I became more comfortable with all the cursing and sex and drugs; nevertheless, I left with a sense of overflowing disgust. These are the people that manage our finances?  What kind of world do we live in?  Don't answer.  It's a rhetorical question.  Besides all that, it's a freaking long movie.  Three hours!  Three hours of the same stuff over and over.  I have mixed feelings about the virtue of making such films and showing the underbelly of the financial world.  Are we glorifying that kind of life?  Beautiful cars, grand houses and yachts, expensive clothes - all at the cost of the common man (and woman).  Does every little boy and girl want to be like Jordan Belfort now?  Or does the film turn them off such choices?  It's a toss up.

On a more joyous note, I spent the day reading and writing, after Irma left in the morning to go back to Mexico City. We discovered a Russian cafe nearby where I had crepas de pollo and David ate a mushroom omelette.  In the evening we watched a bit of the Olympics and went to bed, not before reading for a while.

This Tuesday morning I hear distant dogs barking, the song of the vermilion flycatcher outside the window, the downstairs neighbor making breakfast.  This afternoon we'll go to the Biblioteca for another lecture on birding, and later a talk about Molly Bloom.  We don't go to town often.  In past years we stayed downtown, we had no choice.  Now we have to take a bus or a taxi.  Besides the house is comfortable, the surroundings open and quiet.  And I want to write.

2 comments:

  1. Wolf of Wall Street is gratuitous rubbish. Is that the view of your window? Will you send me a postcard when you go for a walk one of these days? LOVE the last paragraph with the sounds. Will you send me a postcard?

    A fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is of the upper deck where we sit in the afternoons when it warms up. It is lovely indeed. Thank you for being a fan. And I will certainly send you a postcard soon.

      Delete