We all carry stories within us from our earliest years to the present. We like to tell them to friends and family. Now it is time to put them down on paper and enjoy the process.
SOME GUIDELINES FOR MEMOIR WRITING
1. Basic writing exercises:
I remember/I don’t remember
I’m looking at/I’m not looking at
I’m thinking of/I’m not thinking of
Keep the pen moving. Don’t cross out anything. JUST WRITE.
- Life is not linear; reflect and sort through the layers.
- Find a theme and focus on that alone.
- Do some research.
- The past can only be found in the present. Muse, ponder, reflect about the past in the present.
- Be consistent with your tone.
- Discover your own organic structure.
- Write economically.
- Stay detailed.
- Use lots of active verbs.
- Use your five senses.
- SHOW; DON’T TELL.
PERSONAL ESSAY/MEMOIR WORKSHOP
TUESDAY JULY 1 - 7 to 9 pm
CHICAGO LATINO WRITERS INITIATIVE
CULTURA IN PILSEN, 1900 S. CARPENTER
TO REGISTER GO TO:http://www.eventbrite.com/e/chicago-latino-writers-personal-essaymemoir-workshop-tickets-12011762505
Workshop is in English.