Monday, April 11, 2016

So, what do I want to write about? the books I'm reading? the movies I saw recently? the work I've been doing with youth in crisis? the class I'm teaching at The Newberry Library? the trip I'll be taking next month? all of the above? none of the above?

Since I can't hear anybody's choice, I'll start with the first option and continue.

Books I'm reading (I always read more than one book at a time - I don't exactly know why but I suspect it's because I like too many things at the same AND I get bored easily) :

1. The Travelers by Chris Pavone - I read his previous novel, The Expats - and liked it a lot. I just started this one but it promises to be thrilling and entertaining. 

2. A the Existentialist Cafe: Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails with Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Albert Camus, Martin Heidegger, Maurice Merleau-Ponty and others by Sarah Bakewell - since my father told me about the existentialists and their philosophy and their life when I was a young girl I've been enamored of the ideas. I've just started this one too. I think it will be educational and I hope I don't get tired of it. But then - existentialists believe in choice. I have the choice of not reading if I don't want to.

3. Lucia Perillo's poetry - her writing is smooth, sensual, entertaining, sometimes funny, down-to-earth, powerful. I'm thinking of returning to writing poetry, so - I thought this would be a good way to come back to the fold.

Is that enough? 


No comments:

Post a Comment